Conceptual and Basic Engineering
We develop conceptual and basic engineering of projects in conjunction with the client, defining the bases and general guidelines to be considered in the disciplines of process, mechanical, civil, architectural, electrical and instrumentation.
It stands to identify the technical and economic feasibility of a project and will set the standard for the development of basic and detailed engineering. It starts on a feasibility study and from the definitions of the costumer´s requirements.
It is the first phase or stage of an engineering project, in which the desired objectives are set by the client, establish what type of technologies are to be applied, sets the framework of technical standards that will regulate the designs and defined the criteria for economic evaluation and the calculation of profitability.
It starts with a pre-design of the project embodied in a document, either written or drawn on a plane showing a general arrangement of the same project. In addition to a run-time schedule.
List of variables or preliminary aspects of the conceptual engineering:
- Products and production capacity.
- Installation overview.
- Plan, block diagrams, layout of rooms, flow plans of materials and people, plans of classified areas, diagrams of basic processes.
- Estimation of ancillary service requirements. Process Flow Diagram.
- Required project capacity.
- Process description.
- Input variables and customer requirements are explained.
- Norms and standards.
- Location and approximate area.
- List of preliminary equipment.
- Cost of investment with an approximation.
- Operation and maintenance cost.
- Forecast for future expansions.
- Feasibility of having raw material inputs.
- Public services availability.
- A preliminary architecture project is elaborated showing different arrangements of the project.
In basic engineering, all the user requirements, the basic specifications, the implementation schedule and the economic valuation will be definitively reflected. During this phase the following works are defined:
- Detailed review of conceptual engineering and user requirements.
- Datasheets of all rooms (critical and non-critical).
- Calculation of thermal loads and air flow in each of the rooms.
- Basic P & ID of water and HVAC.
- Distribution of points of use of services..
- Review of room layouts, including service areas.
- Mass and energy balance sheets.
- Equipment schedule.
The basic engineering is developed in two stages: the first is the taking of data and elaboration of user requirements and in the second one is developed the rest of works previously described.
The approval of this engineering establishes a solid basis for the further development of detail engineering.
List of documents of the Basic Engineering, besides the criteria of design, it is defined:
- Flow diagram of the process systems and the balance of matter and energy.
- Memory of calculation for each element of the process, objective of the project.
- List and selection of process equipment, specifications of valves, pipes, insulation and painting.
- Equipment and instrument data sheets.
- Specifications of compressed air, fire system, cooling water, chillers, service water, steam and condensate, LP gas and natural gas networks, dust collection and collection systems.
- Design of process equipment.
- Review of the area to install the equipment.
- Preliminary arrangement of equipment in plant and elevations.
- Single-line diagram and equipment specifications, arrangement of field equipment and electrical rooms, calculations of equipment, feeders, grounds, lightning rods and lighting.
- List of instruments, control loops, instrumentation diagram, instrument selection, architecture and control logic.
- Definition of levels and dimensions of buildings.
- Preliminary set plans.
- Architectural arrangements with preliminary dimensions of the building or building site.
Basic engineering, in industrial processes, is also called basic process engineering, which defines in a quantitative basis all the variables of the project. In industrial processes begins with the development of the flow chart plane and balance of matter and energy; And the pipeline and instrumentation (DTI) plane. These documents are supported by calculations for each of the components shown in the diagram with their datasheet for each equipment and instrument. The data sheet shows the performance capacity of the equipment, instrument or accessory to the required work.